Monday, April 16, 2012

They Come in Threes... right?

   Bad things I mean, everyone says they come in threes and I hope to God that is true! So you all know about my first bad thing: my debit info being stolen and the next was my whole bad day that followed. Well, my third is an e-mail I just got from the financial aid and grant services. A little background for those of you may not know much about the financial aid situation in California, well...it SUCKS! A few people abuse the system and then everyone who truly needs the help (like me) get screwed because they start cutting funding. Last year, there was a prop that was trying to become law that would get rid of the Pell Grant completely; for any of you in college and receiving aid, you know that the Pell Grant is nearly 80% of your aid. I fought hard to make sure that the prop never got approved and thankfully it didn't. What I did not know was that now, instead of getting rid of the Pell Grant, they are limiting its dispersal, so if anyone has received it for six years already, they are now no longer eligible. Guess who has already hit that 6 year mark... ME!!! I got a lovely e-mail telling me that as of next quarter, I will no longer be receiving the Pell Grant and must adjust accordingly. Anyway, I have no idea what that will really mean for me-- will I even be able to continue school? Should I not get a car and save the money for tuition? Who knows! I need to make an appointment with a financial aid adviser so I can see what my options are, if any and hopefully be able to get through this next year and half without having to find a job on a pole (so joking...).





  So, if bad things come in threes than that is my third! Okay universe?! That is my third so now I need something good, c'mon! give me something good!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is a contest going on with the radio station I listen to, and I guess-- many others around the country as well since its a national contest. Every weekday there are 8 chances to win $1000 and on Thursdays it moves up to $10,000! So I have been trying to win that for the past few weeks but I only have ever gotten busy signals. So if you want to help me turn my luck around, start sending me some good vibes and wish me luck! Or, if you know of any good contests with cash prizes, let me know because I want to try for anything! My Aunt Marcie enters contests all the time and she has won quite a lot from them soooo, MY TURN!



   Lets see, what else? Oh yeah! On Saturday, my Aunt Jan and cousin Daryl came out to my school for their Welcome Day meet and greet for potential new students. Daryl may be going there so I came along to show him around. I can't believe it has already been a year since I went and did the Welcome Day thing! Honestly, the whole presentation they put on is pretty pointless and I am thankful that other parts of the day and the school itself were better or else I may not have gone there. The first part of the day runs almost like an elementary school play-- just chaotic and lame haha. The people and the actual programs offered beyond that however, are wonderful. It was cool to be able to show Daryl around and be "in the know" about my school. It made me really want to join a club and get more involved-- I just wish I lived closer so that would be easier, we will see. I have to make sure I can even continue to go there before I get involved in the fun stuff!



   Okay, well a little shorter this time and not quite as depressing...maybe. Hope you all are having wonderful days! Enjoy the good things in life while you got 'em!

0 comments:

Post a Comment