Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter(s)

   So this Easter, my brother Travis and I went up to Sacramento and stayed the night with my Aunt Leslie because my Grandparents were at her house for Easter. It was nice to see them all and spend some time catching up on all that has been going on. I know right now there is drama here and there throughout my family so its good for us all to get together and cherish the moments when everything is peaceful. 


  My Aunt Leslie was supposed to give a talk at church on Sunday morning however, due to various circumstances, she traded with another woman. Leslie was relieved (she does not like public speaking very much) and it may have been for the best since another person gave a very similar talk to what she was going to say in her's. The only thing that she was sad about was not being able to read a poem that she asked me to write-- instead I just read it later. Here is the poem:


Her First Easter

Hiding child, the youngest of her family,
living among the sought prizes—
just for a moment, so she can see
from the depths of her hollow,
the traditions of which her parents speak.

Her day is cut in half by the moon
rising through the sky,
but even in her shortened light
the grass stains upon her dress
still reflect like medals-- awarded
to her, the victor!

Then in an instant, dinner is served,
the shouts of mothers, aunts, brothers
to come in to the moveable feast
ring out. She can finally enjoy
what we are all blessed to enjoy.

She hides behind the tall table,
the tall candlesticks-- that are only
ever for decoration. White linens with
hints of creases, are soon speckled
with the past week’s work.

Her mother fusses over her stained dress.
but a smile creeps across her face
as she looks upon her generations.
She peeks out from behind the silver,
knowing she no longer has to hide.
-------------------------------------------------- 

We had a delicious dinner: Chicken Cordon Blue (if that is how it is spelled???) carrots, potatoes au-gratin, and bread sticks, with angel food cake for dessert. Grandma also made us chocolate eggs with marshmallow filling! Yum!


   After we had a wonderful dinner with Leslie, Grandma and Grandpa, we said our goodbyes and drove back home. We then had a second Easter dinner with Eileen and Patrick and my mom and Ana. We dyed eggs and blew bubbles. For whatever reason, I forgot to take pictures of most of these things but I did snag a pic of my favorite egg that I dyed--

   Eileen bought me like 20 pounds of chocolate, I thanked her for my bag-o-diabetes and then we went home for a long needed rest. After eating four times your body weight in turkey, chicken, stuffing, carrots, potatoes (lots of potatoes), bread and chocolate-- you would need a rest too!

I hope you all had a wonderful Easter, I know I did!

0 comments:

Post a Comment