Sunday, June 17, 2012

My Raspberry!

So, two days ago, after I wrote my last blog-- I was freaking out about life and car issues. I felt desperate to find something, anything to put these tensions at ease! So I began my search for a car yet again, pulling up every post that seemed even slightly legitimate. After about an hour, I was going to give up but for poops and giggles-- clicked on just one more post. At first I thought this post was a scam because the person posting it said the car was a 5 speed manual (what I wanted) but the picture looked like an automatic, so I almost dismissed it. I took a chance though and looked closer at the picture and found that it was in fact a 5 speed, just with an odd looking shifter handle. I read all the details of the post-- the guy had replaced all the necessary things: filters, brakes, belts etc. just to sell it. The year was a lot newer (2005) than I was originally looking at because my budget was too low. That leads me to the next plus was that the car was well within my budget. I decided I would text the guy first and see if I should take this post seriously. He texted me back with everything I wanted to hear basically, so I called him. Turns out the guy is a auto serviceman for a auto dealership so he had taken immaculate care of the car! He proved he was who he said he was by showing me the dealer's website and his name and photo under the "Our servicemen" section. I thought "Well, it seems worth a look!" so I asked if we could set up a test drive, but then I found that the guy lives 2 hours away! I was going to lose hope but then he offered to meet me half way-- another good sign because that means the car can drive at least that far! 

So yesterday, Kris and I drove out to Davis to meet the man; between us we had two detailed lists of things to check and a game plan of how this inspection would go down. We got to the place and met Leroy (the seller) and he was very nice and very passionate about his cars! He showed us everything, answered all our questions and was thrilled that we were as paranoid about the details as he was. We came to find out that he has done a lot more good things to the car than we even realized-- flushed all the fluids and replaced them recently, drove with seat covers 24/7 to maintain the look and quality of the interior. He threw in a extra clutch kit, a real spare tire and a roadside safety kit just in case I would ever need it-- all for free! This guy was just the base case scenario for any used car transaction. There were some paint things here and there-- a scratch, some worn spots on the bumper-- but barely noticeable. I care more about the way it runs than the outside anyway-- which brings me to the test drive, the thing is quick! I took it down a back road and gunned it, then smashed on the brakes and it stopped super quick. It shifts very smooth and even when we purposely stalled it, it stalled right away which means the clutch is clean. Everything about this car-- from its immaculate  care to all the extras and the way it drives was just as good as I could hope for. So Kris and I stepped away for a bit to discuss it. He is usually pretty skeptical of everything and everyone he doesn't know-- he kind of is a worse case scenario person but even he was saying the car seemed really good. I was trying so hard to find something wrong with it but I just really couldn't. So then Kris asked me "Is this something you are willing to buy?" and before I could even realize what I was saying I said "Yes!".  We were able to get the guy down another hundred dollars as well which was nice but after a few minutes, I was holding the keys to my brand new-older car!

So let me present to you, my 2005 Kia Spectra aka My Raspberry!





So obviously its not the fanciest car in the world-- its not the coolest and its not the newest  but its mine and therefore its perfect! Out of caution, I am still going to have it fully checked by an auto shop and if they find anything, Leroy (the seller) said I could call him and we could figure something out. I am just excited and so relieved, I feel like 800 tons have just been taken off my shoulders. I really hope that my gut (and Kris' gut) were right about this car because I already love my Raspberry! So, no more sad, stressed out car posts for this gal (hopefully)! Wish me luck with the rest of my stressed now! Thanks for reading!

And Happy Father's Day to all you Dads out there and to my Dad! Love you!

2 comments:

Eric and Chelsea said...

Congrats lady!! Don't you love when you get something new! It looks really nice!!

Ree-Ree Writing said...

Thanks Chels! I love it!

Post a Comment