Sunday, October 7, 2012

Well, its been a while...

       I apologize for the long break between posts here. A lot has happened between then and now -- so much that I haven't even had a spare moment to write really; or if I did, I felt too exhausted to do so. I feel exhausted right now but I am avoiding homework to do this so there is motive. 

Lets see, where do I start? Well, I will start out of order I guess. I began a new quarter at school and I can tell, this one is going to kick my butt. This term is comprised mostly of writing courses, which is great for me-- but they are serious writing courses which also intimidates me. All the classes I have taken before have been introductory and beginner classes where I was the big fish in a small pond so to speak. I was the one who has been writing for years, who has had stuff published, who has done this before. Now, I am one of the people who suck. My stuff is amateur when compared to others and I know, I shouldn't compare myself, I should write for me; but it is hard to think that way in a class where you discuss your work with your peers. The professors intimidate you more too because they will speak of those who were once at your level that are now best selling authors-- inspiring right? Not really because the professors also spoke of how they could see that promise in their early work. So, will they see any promise in mine? Will these professors be speaking of me in 15 years saying "I could tell she had it way back then. . ." who knows! It is just a lot of pressure to feel with every exercise, wanting it to be great but feeling like you are turning in crappy prose and immature fiction.


Okay, well that was my "waahh, poor me" moment; now for something a little less pathetic. My cousin just started going to the same school as me. This is the first time since elementary school that I had a family member in the same learning environment as me. It is nice to see a familiar face in the halls every now and then. The only problem I can foresee with all this is the competitive aspect. We are both English majors and we haven't had any classes together yet but I can see that we both take it pretty seriously. I don't know that we wouldn't get a little cut throat when it came to comparing our work. I realize it will be hard to compare-- we are completely different writers with vastly different backgrounds and influences; still, the potential strain is there. I realize I am worrying too much about stuff that isn't even worth a concern but that is how I am.


So, what else? Oh well, my oldest brother Travis graduated with a bachelors of science in communication systems degree (or something to that effect), from the University of Phoenix. I am super proud of him-- that boy was a machine when it came to his school work and his job on top of always being there for his family. For those of you who may not know, he was extremely sick when his was little-- in and out of comas, pronounced clinically dead several times. When he finally started to improve in health, the doctors said he would be a vegetable the rest of his life.Well, when he walked across that stage and accepted his degree, I wish those doctors who said that could see. It was pretty amazing and I am so proud of him!





T
The other cool thing about his graduation was how my family came together. My parents are divorced and haven't seen each other in nearly seven years; so this event was the first time in a long while where they would be in the same room and have to talk to each other. I admit, I was nervous about it. My parents ARE NOT two people who ever belonged together so the tension between them can get pretty darn thick. On top of that, my mom's sisters and brother were going to be commingling with my Dad's parents (my grandparents) and oldest sister so that was just a lot of new, strange experiences to be mixed into the whole thing. Also, Kris was coming along so I had my boyfriend situation, my separated parents situation, two very different families chatting it up situation and just trying to get everyone on the same page with the whole graduation thing. Like I said before, I was concerned about it but I am really glad to say that looking back now, I didn't need to me concerned (well, it still could have got. . .tense but thankfully it didn't); everyone was happy and chatty and had a great time. Overall, it was a great day and we all had a lot of fun celebrating Travis' amazing accomplishment!



Okay, so what else? Hmm, well the only other thing I can think of is not very happy or uplifting but it is something that has been weighing on my mind a lot. I recently got advised by an RN to get checked out for Polysystic Ovarian Syndrome (POS). Pretty much, if you have this, you will have irregular menstrual cycles, be broken out 24/7, have unexplained weight gain, lose head hair-- gain other unpleasant body hair, experience random abdominal pains and a bunch of other unpleasant stuff. Now, all this I have been experiencing for some time but I always wrote it off as stress and aging and various other things-- which it could still be. My biggest concern with it however is that if you do have POS than your likelihood of contracting diabetes goes up quite a bit, other various uterine and ovarian issues can occur and ultimately it can lead to cancers and infertility (not that I am looking to get pregnant any time soon but if I ever did, I would like to know I could). So I went to the doctors and they are currently running a myriad of expensive tests to see if POS is the cause-- the doctor said it most likely is based on all my symptoms. Anyway, that sucks and its just another health thing I get to tack onto my extensive record. At least if I do have POS, I am finding out about it early which means that I can treat some of the symptoms and take care of myself in new ways to hopefully lessen the chances of the bigger, badder stuff. 

       Okay, well I think that's about all the big stuff for now. I am sure I am forgetting things and I am sure I have a million more pictures and videos I could put up here but I really need to get started on that homework I have been avoiding. Wish me luck on my writing and on my possibly, gross ovaries (haha, you are welcome for making you think 'ewww'). Have a good one y'all. Hope you are well and happy!






0 comments:

Post a Comment